Connect X to X

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 18:19:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 11:41 -0600, Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
>     What's the easiest way to connect one FC5 machine running X-Windows
> to another FC5 machine also running X-Windows so I can get the desktop
> of the other machine on the first?  I know there's VNC which I can use,
> but I have to believe that since both machines are running X-Windows
> natively that there's some other way of doing it?  Yes?  No?

There are several ways and which is best depends on what you want to
do.  If you want to run one or a few programs from a remote machine
you can 'ssh -Y remote_host' for a command line login, then start
programs by typing their names.  A new window will open for the
program on your desktop.   If you only want the remote desktop
instead of a local one, you can enable xdm logins on the remote,
start the local machine at init level 3, then start X locally with
X -query remote_host
and get a graphic login prompt followed by the remote desktop.
If you want a 'remote desktop in a window', you have the option
of vnc, which can be configured to access the running console, to
start a new session on demand, or to run as a long-running service
not connected to the console, Xnest (yum install Xnest; Xnest :1 -query
remote_host), or freenx.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com