secondary dns permission denied problem..

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 20 02:31:54 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 14:35 +0200, Gregory Machin wrote:
> Im getting permission denied errors when my secondary server trys to
> fetch the zone from the master.. both are standard fc 5 installs and
> configured via the dns system-config-bind tool.
> any ideas why it would do this. ?

The usual reason is because you're *NOT* trying to put the slave data
into the slave sub-directory.  Is this what you're trying to do?

Master records:  /var/named/chroot/var/named/
 Slave records:  /var/named/chroot/var/named/slaves/

Simply prepend "slaves/" to the filepath in your named.conf files, like
in this example:

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa." IN {
        type slave;
        file "slaves/192.168.1.db";