Checking internet connection without a winbox

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 05:55:25 UTC 2006

On 18/07/06, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> I think we have a terminology problem here. You do not dial out on a
> cable modem.

I'm sorry for the confusion. We say "to dial" instead of "to make the
conneciton" because that is the meaning of "to dial" in our language.
I now know that in English "to dial" is the making of a connection on
a telephone _only_. Sorry.

> Depending on what your cable system uses, and what
> modem you have, you may need to create a PPPoE connection, or
> another type of link of the same type. Some cable modems, as well as
> some DSL modems, can be configured to create this link for you, so
> all you need to do is make a standard Ethernet connection to it.

The particular modem in question cannot be configured to make the
connection on it's own. The ocmputer must be the component making the
connection.

> The Windows software from the cable company creates the connection
> between your computer and the cable company. There is probably Linux
> software to do the same thing, but because your cable company does
> not supply a pre-configured software package for Linux, we have to
> know what they are using so we can advise you about the software to
> use, and how to set it up. (This is why I prefer to set up the modem
> to create the connection - it becomes an OS neutral connection.) You
> can probably get all the information you need from your router. Look
> at the WAN connection information. It should tell you the connection
> type, and the username/password you need to use.

Thanks, Mikkel. This is the information:

WAN Type: L2TP
IP Mode: Dynamic IP Address
Server IP Address: Lns4.actcom.net.il
L2TP Account: etykot at CActcom
L2TP Password: SecretPassword

What program is capable of creating this type of connection?

Thanks in advance. I very much appreciate the help.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com