Amavisd does not start

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Jul 20 18:41:58 UTC 2006

Chris Jones schrieb:

> Thanks for that. There is nothing in that log, unfortunately that
> points to the issue. Here is the result of my starting amavisd:-
> [root at bilbo subsys]# service amavisd start
> Starting amavisd:                                          [  OK  ]
>
> [root at bilbo subsys]# service amavisd status
> amavisd dead but subsys locked
> [root at bilbo subsys]#
>
> ... and here is the log fragment for that start:
> Jul 20 18:27:41 bilbo amavis[7120]: starting.  /usr/sbin/amavisd at
> bilbo.stow-jones.local amavisd-new-2.4.1 (20060508), Unicode aware,
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> Jul 20 18:27:41 bilbo amavis[7120]: Perl version               5.008008

Nothing more appears at amavisd start time? Normally quite a few tests
would run, about the Perl environment / helper modules, anti-virus
scanners, spamassassin ...

> Which says to me that something is wrong, but I cannot see where.

Time to get a hand at /etc/amavisd.conf. It has an option to not use
sylog for logging but an own file. Use that in combination with a higher
debug level.
Do you have SELinux being enforced?

Alexander