Amavisd does not start

Chris Jones linux at stow-jones.co.uk
Thu Jul 20 19:56:42 UTC 2006

Justin Willmert wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>> Justin Willmert wrote:

>>> Try looking in /var/lock/subsys.
>> I have tried that. I removed the hanging lock, which when checked,
>> stopped amavisd. However, on starting amavisd, apparently
>> successfully, after checking the status, amavisd was again dead but
>> subsys locked.
>>
>> I seem to be going around in circles. HOW do I correct this???
>>
> I guess next I'd suggest looking at the init.d file and seeing what it
> is doing. I do it sometimes when something isn't working right and try
> to recreate the steps by hand, seeing where it goes wrong. Sometimes
> it leads me to the problem area where I can finally get an idea of
> what should be changed.
Following your suggestion, I put the following commands through in a
terminal session:-

[root at bilbo init.d]# . /etc/rc.d/init.d//functions
[root at bilbo init.d]# . /etc/sysconfig/network
[root at bilbo init.d]# [ -e /etc/sysconfig/amavisd ] && .
/etc/sysconfig/amavisd
[root at bilbo init.d]# retval=0
[root at bilbo init.d]# action $"Starting amavisd: " amavisd -c amavisd
Starting amavisd:  Error reading config file "amavisd": No such file or
directory at /usr/sbin/amavisd line 1205.
[1] 7929                                                   [FAILED]

[root at bilbo init.d]# action $"Starting amavisd: " amavisd -c
/etc/amavisd/amavisd.conf
Starting amavisd:  [1]+  Done                    [ -w /var/gdm/.gdmfifo
] && echo "BOOTUP_ERRORS" >/var/gdm/.gdmfifo
                                                           [  OK  ]
[root at bilbo init.d]# retval=$?
[root at bilbo init.d]# [ $retval -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/amavisd
[root at bilbo init.d]# echo

[root at bilbo init.d]# service amavisd status
amavisd (pid 7937 7936 7934) is running...
[root at bilbo init.d]#

I am even more puzzled. The normal 'service amavisd start', 'service
amavisd stop', and 'service amavisd restart' all fail for one reason or
another, yet this technique seems to do the job.

--
Chris Jones