Running LVM to repartition HD question

Stephen Liu satimis at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 15:31:49 UTC 2006

Hi Paul,

Tks for your advice.

cat /etc/fstab
dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
1 2
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620
0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 /home                   ext3    defaults
 1 2
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults
0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults
0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /tmp                    ext3    defaults
 1 2
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol03 swap                    swap    defaults
 0 0
* * * end * * *
d use if there was any free space.
> Unmount /tmp and remove/comment out the fstab entry for it. Reboot.
> Your
> system should come up OK with /tmp on the root filesystem (the /tmp
> directory already exists).

If I understand your advice correctly /tmp will be automatically
created on / (LogVol00) during reboot.

> Once you're happy that that's working, you can delete LogVol02 from
> your
> volume group:

I'll not delete LogVol02 and will use it to install 2nd Linux OS.  Also
I'll create a 5G partition on raw partition as its /home

/boot will be shared by 2 OS.  This partition can be detected by grub
because not on VolGroup00

> Unfortunately you have an LVM
> physical volume using up all of your free space and there's no clean
> way
> of shrinking that, so you'll probably need to use the same volume
> group
> for your second install.

That is my mistake.  This is my first time using LVM.  After successful
completion I'll have 2nd round, wiping out the whole HD.  However this
is a little bid pitty because it took me sometime to install FC5_64.
There were lot of problem before running "yum update"  Either the mouse
pointer or the PC hung.  It is quite stable now.

Others noted with tks.

B.R.
SL