corporate address book

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 21 18:05:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 16:19 +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I've got about 120 users on my network with email being done on a FC5 system
> using a combination of exim and dovecot.
>
> Email address -> mailserver user conversion is done through /etc/aliases.
>
> I'm looking at options to provide a corporate email address book that can be
> maintained on the mail server and used by the users using Outlook and Outlook
> express.
>
> Anyone got any ideas how best to do this, preferrably with pointers on how to
> set it up.

In addition to Paul's response there is a much heavier solution:
Install Fedora Directory Server (FDS), feed it the proper schemas that
work with Thunderbird, Evolution and LookOut, add the contact details
and configure the LDAP server in those clients. The only HOWTO I could
find on this subject is Evo1 related and iirc it's not very helpful for
Evo2. I recall reading in the FDS irc channel that someone would submit
a schema for Evo2. Don't know if that's available yet. My guess is that
this solution takes much more figuring out than Paul's contagged app.
The advantage is that once your contacts are in FDS you can probably use
them with CRM software like SugarCRM, vTiger, CentraView or CentricCRM
too.

Alternatively you could have a look at Scalix. It is not OSS but iirc it
does use an LDAP backend. Open-Xchange is another one that has groupware
support for multiple clients and LDAP.

Regards,
Patrick