Mouse gestures in Firefox on FC5

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 25 21:18:52 UTC 2006

Patrick Doyle wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am running FC5 on a laptop and have learned, accidentally, and then
> experimentally, that mouse gestures are enabled on my touchpad in
> Firefox.  (They may be enabled elsewhere, but, so far, this is where I
> have noticed it, and have found it most annoying).
>
> Can anybody suggest a way to disable this feature?  I've poked around
> a bit and seen web pages that indicate that gestures are enabled via a
> plugin (now known as an "extension"), but I don't see any extensions
> labeled "Mouse Gestures".  (There are a bunch related to languages,
> and one related to examining DOM
>
> I don't see anything about gestures under "Preferences" either.
>
> For those who don't know, "Mouse Gestures" allow me to click on a page
> somewhere near the bottom, and drag the mouse to the left, in order to
> go "back" one web page.  Similarly, if I click and drag to the right,
> I can go forward a web page (provided there is a page to go forward
> to).
>
> The problem is, on my little mouse pad, I frequently tap somewhere
> near the bottom and move my finger to the left in order to move the
> mouse to the left.  This gets interpreted as a gesture, and I go back
> a page.
>
> Any pointers?  (ha ha -- get it?)
>
> --wpd

from: http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=17183

"/configure firefox so that it doesn't misinterpret the horizontal
scroll. In firefox type in URL (address bar): "about:config" and set
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action to 0 (change the setting by
double clicking on the line) and then also set
mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.sysnumlines to true./"