Selinux woes

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jul 27 10:19:14 UTC 2006

Dan Track wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I'm having trouble running software, especially the cgi scripts. I
> keep getting the following denial messages:
>
> audit(1153994541.663:20): avc:  denied  { execute_no_trans } for
> pid=9258 comm="httpd" name="status.cgi" dev=sda2 ino=19426
> scontext=root:system_r:httpd_t tcontext=system_u:object_r:lib_t
> tclass=file
>
> The files are located in /usr/lib/nagios/cgi/
>
> Could some please help me figure this out. I've started to read
> through the selinux manual but its a huge climb and would appreciate
> ways to solve the above.

You should read "man httpd_selinux", which has notes on running CGI
programs under SELinux.

You generally need to set the SELinux context type of CGI programs to
httpd_sys_script_exec_t:

# chcon -R -t httpd_sys_script_exec_t /usr/lib/nagios/cgi

Is this the nagios version in Fedora Extras? If it is, failure to work
with SELinux enabled should be bugzilla-ed.

Paul.