Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 1 09:18:10 UTC 2006

From: "Laurence Orchard" <laurence at orchards.org.uk>

> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 16:21 +0930, Tim wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 14:00 +1000, Steffen Kluge wrote:
>> > Just do it the ^C/^V way then. Works just like in Windows. It is
>> > amazing you parade your lack of skill and/or knowledge and try to palm
>> > it off as some sort of Linux shortcomings.
>>
>> Nice try with the insults, jackass, but CTRL + C or V doesn't work in
>> *all* applications, neither *do* all applications have right-click copy
>> and paste options, and neither does highlight and middle-click pasting
>> work in *all* applications.  You *have* to do combinations, some of
>> which have really annoying effects.
>>
>> --
>> (Currently running FC4, occasionally trying FC5.)
>>
>> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
>> I read messages from the public lists.
>>
> Hi All
>
> Through out this thread I have not read any SPECIFICS,
> which applications don't work?
> which window manager are you using?
> which application won't let you switch windows?
>
> It seems to me that there is a lot of calling of the "system" without
> the detail to back it up, is it the "system" or a few buggy/misbehaving
> applications?
>
> If the applications don't work the way you think they should, have you:-
> a) checked that you are allowed to do what you want, some applications
> won't let you copy data for security reasons, putting data in pictures
> on web pages for instance.
> b) reported the bug/feature to the application developers/supporters.
> c) checked your configuration to make sure you don't have something that
> is inhibiting the action.
> d) checked that something you have done has stopped it working. One of
> my programs has to use CTRL + C to close files cos thats what the user
> wanted. Another user had used CTRL + v to trigger their own macro (in
> Excel!).
> e) have you documented the precis actions that work/don't work so we can
> look at the problem
>
> Thank you for your time

1) When these problems bite I do NOT have time to debug them, create a
   fix, or even send a message to bugfart that there is a problem. I have
   my OWN problem to fix.
2) The problem with the program and X-Windows should not exist in the
   first place.

> Laurence
>
> p.s. and we are not kids, so PLEASE lets not get into name calling and
> play nice!

3) This is a Fedora Core mailinglist. What's this play nice and no name
   calling nonsense? (Of course, for an average "ix-ish" mailing list
   this one is modestly polite.)

{^_^}   Joanne