lvm boot from second volume group

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jun 1 11:26:26 UTC 2006

list user wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I'm using fc4 and working with xen, and it works great, but I've come
> upon an issue that I don't know how to resolve.
>
> I've many different images and configurations using lvm and grub to
> multi-boot.  To keep things easy (for me) I use IDE drives and the
> motherboard's built-in IDE interfaces.
>
> I added another volume group, vg1, to my lvm setup, and placed an fc4
> tree on it, and added an entry to grub.conf.  However, when I try to
> boot into that image it fails.  Same image on volume group 0 (vg0) will
> boot.
>
> Has anybody managed to use grub to boot from a second volume group?
>
> I suspect that it may be an initrd issue, but don't know for sure.
>
> Any pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't really get what you're asking. grub doesn't understand LVM at
all AFAIK, it just boots the kernel/initrd from a regular partition
(/boot) and passes parameters to that kernel to tell it where to find
the root filesystem.

So when you say "boot into that image", what do you mean? Where is the
kernel and initrd, and what does the grub.conf entry look like?

Paul.