Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

Laurence Orchard laurence at orchards.org.uk
Thu Jun 1 13:03:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 02:18 -0700, jdow wrote:
> From: "Laurence Orchard" <laurence at orchards.org.uk>

> >> Nice try with the insults, jackass, but CTRL + C or V doesn't work in
> >> *all* applications, neither *do* all applications have right-click copy
> >> and paste options, and neither does highlight and middle-click pasting
> >> work in *all* applications.  You *have* to do combinations, some of
> >> which have really annoying effects.
> >>
> >> --
> >> (Currently running FC4, occasionally trying FC5.)
> >>
> >> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.
> >> I read messages from the public lists.
> >>
> > Hi All
> >
> > Through out this thread I have not read any SPECIFICS,
> > which applications don't work?
> > which window manager are you using?
> > which application won't let you switch windows?
> >
> > It seems to me that there is a lot of calling of the "system" without
> > the detail to back it up, is it the "system" or a few buggy/misbehaving
> > applications?
> >
> > If the applications don't work the way you think they should, have you:-
> > a) checked that you are allowed to do what you want, some applications
> > won't let you copy data for security reasons, putting data in pictures
> > on web pages for instance.
> > b) reported the bug/feature to the application developers/supporters.
> > c) checked your configuration to make sure you don't have something that
> > is inhibiting the action.
> > d) checked that something you have done has stopped it working. One of
> > my programs has to use CTRL + C to close files cos thats what the user
> > wanted. Another user had used CTRL + v to trigger their own macro (in
> > Excel!).
> > e) have you documented the precis actions that work/don't work so we can
> > look at the problem
> >
> > Thank you for your time
>
> 1) When these problems bite I do NOT have time to debug them, create a
>    fix, or even send a message to bugfart that there is a problem. I have
>    my OWN problem to fix.

Can I ask what you do when Windows crashes
or one of Microsoft's applications doesn't work the way you think it
should?

> 2) The problem with the program and X-Windows should not exist in the
>    first place.

I agree that problems shouldn't exist, but as far as I know only Buddha
has reached Nirvana.

I think you will find more problems elsewhere, with fewer people willing
to listen, do something about it or suggest an alternative.

> > Laurence
> >
> > p.s. and we are not kids, so PLEASE lets not get into name calling and
> > play nice!
>
> 3) This is a Fedora Core mailinglist. What's this play nice and no name
>    calling nonsense? (Of course, for an average "ix-ish" mailing list
>    this one is modestly polite.)

End of the day, no-one is saying you have to use Fedora, if you prefer
other offerings, go use them, stop whining, be constructive.