fc5 firefox won't open pdf: Unhandled MIME type: 'application/octet-stream'

Yuandan Zhang yuandan.zhang at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 06:16:09 UTC 2006

I have the same problem when I embed evince onto firefox using
mozillapluger. I found this is because evince snuffles file type according
to the filename extension, but web plugins get web contents in a temp file
without extension.

one working around is add xpdf as the first option at
/etc/mozpluggerrc
e.g.

application/pdf:pdf:PDF file
application/x-pdf:pdf:PDF file
text/pdf:pdf:PDF file
text/x-pdf:pdf:PDF file
        repeat noisy swallow(Xpdf) fill: xpdf -g +9000+9000 "$file"
        repeat noisy swallow(evince) fill: evince "$file"
        ACROREAD()
        repeat noisy swallow(kpdf) fill: kpdf "$file"
        GV()