? /grub/splash.xpm.gz ? /initrd/2.6.16-1.2122_FC5.img

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 3 09:35:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 02:57 -0400, ron wrote:

> I managed to wipe out my /boot directory while trying to back it up to
> cd.

How do you end up wiping out something you're making a backup of?  I can
imagine stuffing up a restoration, but during a backup?

> I reinstalled the kernel and grub files but have no:
>
> /grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> or:
>
> /initrd/2.6.16-1.2122_FC5.img
>
> Where can i find these?

The splash isn't required, but I'd guess you could replace it with any
image of your own choosing, so long as it's in the right format.  The
original can be found in the fedora-logos RPM file.  You can open the
RPM in something like file roller to copy that file out of it, or play
with re-installing.

Hint:  rpm -q --whatprovides /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
fedora-logos-1.1.31-1

(That was from FC4, but I imagine FC5 has a similarly named RPM.)

The kernel initrd you could probably replace by reinstalling a kernel
through RPM.  Did you try to "reinstall" that way, or just copying back
the files from your backup?

I think the "freshen" option might let you replace a missing file.
Failing that, perhaps forcing an older kernel to install (so you get a
full kernel installation, of some sort), removing the later one, then
reinstalling it properly, might get you going.  I strongly suggest
reading the RPM man file.

I read messages from the public lists.