skype version

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jun 4 00:43:45 UTC 2006

Rickey Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 08:40 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> But I believe that test would be the end of the ultimate
>> pissing match I've become embroiled in on alsa's bugzilla list over its
>> lack of full duplex operation in anything but carefully preset
>> laboratory experiments.  It does work nicely there, but not in the real
>> world, which the alsa folks are apparently refusing to consider as a
>> real problem because their response is 'fix the app, alsa works'.
>

> Gene, I gave up on using full-duplex some time ago as alsa would eat up
> about 80% of my cpu when it was set. I have wanted to play with Skype.
> So I'm just wandering as I wonder suppose you use two sound cards? Would
> the two at half duplex be less of a load than one running full duplex?
> It's a thought, and I wondered if you have considered it? Ric

I am running 2 cards in the box at home, using skype_dsp_hijacker -2nd,
and that fails very similarly to what this lappy is doing.  My -2nd
sound card there is actually the motherboard chipset, an nforce2 thingy.

Card 0 is an audigy 2 value.  And yes, I have seen skype using 90% of an
AMD 2800XP.  I haven't noticed that effect on this lappy though.

And I'd never considered trying to crosslink the i/o paths, it might
work I suppose if one had 2 real devices.  This lappy doesn't, sigh...

--
Cheers, Gene