kde in extras - the devel discussion

Norm norm at workingtools.ca
Wed Jun 7 02:21:44 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
>>> See above. I've read to many false promises from Fedora leadership to
>>> give any trust in any such promise before I have it in my hands.
>>
>> I think I see a trend here... you may be placing too much emphasis on
>> Fedora
>> leadership (and "promises"), when in fact, much (most!) of the
>> work/support
>> here needs to happen in the *community*.
>
> I generally agree with this, but it is a little bit more complex when
> the reins are held by, and the agenda controlled by, a benign
> (generous even) but motivated-in-specific ways Redhat.  There's no
> evil there but it makes for a slightly curious psychological tension
> in the project.
>
> -Andy
Personally I prefer Gnome, but then that is my choice.  One thing I like
about Linux when compared to that other operating system is one does
have choices.
My feeling is the core of Fedora at 5 cd's is getting a little out of
hand; if I may make a suggestion in this area why not reduce the core to
a true minimum needed to intiate an installation and create bundles of
extras on various particular themes  such as the KDE extras bundle.
This way after I have downloaded the mandatory core I could select the
various extra bundles that contain other ares I am interested in.  As
things are now I am just installing desktops, I don't need the server
options.  If I had the option to not download server applications I
would save on band width when downloading the iso's, if at a later date
I find I need to install servers I could always download the "server
extras" or which ever ones I have chosen to not install at this time.
Norm