FC5 unbootable after yesterday's updates

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Jun 9 19:44:09 UTC 2006

Jonathan Underwood wrote:

> On 09/06/06, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been on location in Washington for the past two days. Thanks for
>> yours, and the other response(s). Last night, I was able to boot a
>> couple of rescue cd's, and it appears that I may have a bad sector on my
>> system drive. I can't mount my / partition, which is separate from the
>> /boot partition, so maybe that explains all the errors. More diagnostics
>> tonight...
>

> If I was you, at this point I'd focus on making sure your user data is
> properly backed up elsewhere, as it sounds like your drive might be
> failing....
>
> Sometimes this is useful in such miserable situations:
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Yes, I've got ultimateboot. I'm going to run spinrite on the drive when
I get home. There's not a lot of precious data on this machine, as I
just built it two weeks ago. I'll also try the FC5 rescue cd, which I
didn't have last night. I was using the MEPIS liveCD from several
versions back, so it may have not been up to the task.