nfs help?

Ambrogio fn050202 at flashnet.it
Sat Jun 10 08:07:58 UTC 2006

Il giorno ven, 09/06/2006 alle 10.58 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson ha
scritto:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 22:39 +0200, Ambrogio wrote:
> >> Access rule are based on uid used on client at the mount time.
> >> If you use root on client (for example) to mount an export, tipically
> >> you can't access.
> >
> > That's never been my experience.  Firstly, normally only the root use
> > can mount something.  Secondly, when mounting a Linux file system over
> > NFS, the original ownership is maintained, but numerically:  User 500
> > remote is treated as user 500 local, so you better make sure that
> > usernames and user IDs match on both sides of the connection.
It is that I sayd.
For first, mount command is available also at user level.
The NFS, as CIFS on microsoft is accessible aslo at user level.
Otherwise must be everyone root to access, for examples, to home on
network server?
The user level is threated everytime numerically.
When you use ls -la and see a user insted of a number is only because ls
make a conversion, but on ACL we ave numbers.
So, when you mount a NFS export into a linux machine and use ls -la you
are on a client, so ls convert numbers using local passwd and groups.

> Also, local root is normally mapped to user nobody on the remote
> system unless the no_root_squash option in used. "man exports" for
> more information.
True...
normally root is squashed to very very non-priviledged user. And maybe
that on remote filesystem this special user are authorized to make
NOTHING.
So the result is access denied or something else.

Bye
 Ambrogio