Photo gallery recommendation?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jun 11 21:09:07 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I'm looking for a program to create and maintain an on-line photo gallery
> under Fedora-5.
> If possible I'd like to have thumbnails plus a film-strip (like Windows!).
>
> I've installed f-spot, but I'm not completely happy with it.
> For one thing I find the documentation more or less unintelligible.
> I don't like the style of the gallery;
> I'm sure there is some way to change it,
> but if so I haven't come across any instructions for this.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I downloaded gallery2, but this has even less documentation than f-spot!

Actually, I have had a change of heart,
and have decided that f-spot probably meets my needs as well as anything.
Although the documentation is abysmal, once you have worked out what it does
it seems fairly straightforward.
My initial doubt was caused by the fact that it appeared to be moving
hundreds of megabytes to some unspecified destination.

I do wish Linux applications would give more information
about what they are doing, what files they are editing, etc.
This is one area where Linux has a standing advantage over Windows,
so it seems a pity not to make the most of it.

My personal guru advised against gallery, on security grounds.
However, he is slightly paranoid on that subject;
in particular he is prejudiced against PHP.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366