Back to Fedora

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 18:45:45 UTC 2006

On 13/06/06, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Quite a few things have changed in FC5, and there are some thingsthat
> > I just can't get working.
>
> These are all/most standard kde behaviors, not specific to Fedora.

Yes, I've found that out.

> > > Here are some questions, if someone could
> > help me out:
> > - "New ->" has been removed from the right-click menu in Konqi. How do
> > I reenable it?
>
> KDE Control Panel -> Desktop -> Behavior, General tab
> *check* "Show icons on desktop"
>
> If you can't see icons on desktop, creating a new file/icon there doesn't
> make much sense, does it? (:

I do have icons on the desktop. But if I'd like to create a new
folder, I'd like to right-click the desktop and choose New->Folder.
The New option is not in the context menu.

> > - Icons can now be placed anywhere on the desktop and in folders. I
> > prefer the grid method, where ever icon is centered on a grid. The
> > grid makes for less visual clutter. How do I enable it?
>
> New is only available if you disable desktop icons, see
> KDE Control Panel -> Desktop -> Behavior, File Icons tab
> *check* "Automatically line up icons"

I don't think that is correct. I've always had icons on the desktop,
and I've always had a New option in the context menu.

> > - I've no screensavers! I see much talk about this, but I don't want
> > to install them all. I only want to install the screensaver that
> > displays a slideshow of my personal photographs. Can I install only
> > that one, or must I install them all?
>
> $ yum install kdeartwork xscreensavers-base \
>               xscreensavers-extras xscreensavers-extras-gl
> should get all of them for you.

I did find that out in the archive. I was hoping that I could install
just the one I wanted. Oh well, no big deal. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://auto-car.info
754