Red Hat just ripped me off for $179.00

Kurt Hansen khansen at charityweb.net
Wed Jun 14 02:22:51 UTC 2006

Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> On 6/13/06, Timothy Payne <tim at tmpco.com> wrote:
>
>> Upgrade as in better version.
>>
>> I called, no reply. - 5 working days.
>>
>> I emailed, no reply. - 5 working days.
>>
>> I call to ask for my money back, they blew me off.
>>
>> Any more questions?
>

> Sure, is all of your hardware listed in the RHEL hardware
> compatibility list on RH's website?

If not, Red Hat should refund him the $179 and apologize for not being
more clear.

Don't blame the customer here. He expected to get more because he paid
more. A very common and valid assumption; heck, most of capitalism is
based on that basic assumpiton. Yes, it is actually a "downgrade" in a
technical sense, but Red Hat should explain that and refund the $179.

This happens because the marketing of FC is unclear about what it really
is. It's the old rawhide. It's beta software. The initial marketing of
FC did not make that clear; it took me until FC4 to realize that, and
I've been using RH since 5.X and FC from FC1.

For the OP, you might want to try other distributions such as CentOS or
Whitebox if you want a stable OS but Red Hat's support options don't fit
your needs.

Take care,

Kurt Hansen