No PPP in 2.6.16 Kernel

David Hough fedora at llondel.org
Wed Jun 14 08:45:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:54:01 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:>
> On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 02:57 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 06:30:15AM +0000, David Hough wrote:
>>  > This one has me baffled. I have a system running quite happily with
>>  > kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 and I use it with pptp to establish a VPN
>>  > connection. This works fine. However, both my attempts to use 2.6.16
>>  > upgrade kernels (both 2111 and 2122, shown below) have failed due to the
>>  > errors as found in the system log.

[big snip]

>> Hmm, I vaguely remember this from quite a while back.
>> iirc, it was caused by the pptp package bundling its own (out of date)
>> ppp_generic module.  The kernel rpm does include ppp_generic.ko, and it's
>> not reliant upon any of those symbols.
>
> MPPE support in pptp prior to kernel 2.6.15 required an out-of-tree
> ppp_mppe module, which in turn required a patched ppp_generic. From
> 2.6.15, MPPE support is included in the upstream kernel and no fiddling
> with out-of-tree modules is needed.

That's probably the clue I need, thanks. The offending system was
upgraded from FC3 (2.6.12 kernel) to FC5 whereas the trouble-free system
was a fresh FC5 install. So I guess I just need to strip out the old
mppe stuff and possibly refresh some of the newer stuff to make sure the
latest file versions exist.

Dave