yum just removed nvidia modules?!

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 02:25:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 16:25 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:

> In this case, the kernel update comes from Fedora and the video module
> comes from livna.  There is a known delay in getting the video drivers
> updated, so an automatic update of the kernel is a problem if you are
> rebooting frequently and it uses the newer kernel before the driver has
> been updated.

Got a question for ya, I just got an Athlon 64 3200 machine which I
installed my i386 FC5 cd's to. I'm lurking and waiting to see if
everyone agrees that the 64bit install is solid. But, when I try to
install the nVidea module drivers, yum refuses to do so saying it need
an i686 kernel installed. This is after it dnloads everything and barfs
and erases the rpms as it shuts down. I haven't gotten as far as getting
the Dvd burner working yet, to burn FC5 / 64. I'm standing in a pool of
my own ignorance of things 64 bit. Can I go ahead and devel on this
machine and update/upgrade to 64bit? Or is that done only from a CD
install and I best get about it before investing time in re-configuring
this machine to my personal needs?? Chicken or the Egg? Which DvD burn
application stands the best chance of burning a Fedora Dvd? Or, can yum
handle the procedure? Lotsa questions, sorry. You just seem to have an
experienced perspective. :) Ric