FC4 or FC5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 12:51:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 02:34, Sean wrote:

> > The illegal use doesn't bother me as much as the fact that
> > most people don't realize that it is only a matter of luck
> > that the software exists at all.  And it's not likely to
> > happen again for the next generation of hardware.  We'd be
> > better off if these illegal workarounds had never existed
> > so the situation would be better understood today,
>
> Agreed.  It would be much better if people understood just how restrictive
> the propietary world is, and how little freedom it offers the average
> person.

So we finally agree on something.  Now, having said that,
doesn't it seem that you should be able to use as little
of the proprietary parts as possible?  The GPL, by excluding
them at the component level forces all 'works as a whole'
to be proprietary or at least all non-GPL if any part of
its functionality is covered by a patent.  I still don't
understand why you think it is a good thing that GPL
components can't be used at all in these situations.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com