FC4 or FC5

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 15 13:15:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 13:13 -0700, BRUCE STANLEY wrote:
> Hardware vendors are not going to develop  full functioning drivers
> and then release them to the open source community if this gives their
> competitors an insight as to how to compete against them.

If you really believe that licensing terms prevents a competitor from
grabbing their product, diagnosing it, then using whatever they think in
it is a good idea, you're deluding yourself.

All sorts of industries do that (rip a competitors product apart to see
what makes it tick).  Licensing makes it harder for them to directly
steal and use things.  If they can get caught, they can get held to the
license terms.  But with or without a license, they can manage to make
use of what information they glean, they've just got to be careful about
how they use it.

I read messages from the public lists.