FC4 or FC5

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 15 13:53:14 UTC 2006

Aaron Konstam:
>>> Would we have Linux kernels if there wasn't a company willing to pay
>>> Linux kernel developers to do that job without demanding that revenue
>>> be realized from their work.

Tim:
>> Would we have them if those who did so didn't get something back in
>> return for their efforts?  I doubt it.  But we do have them, and they do
>> get back what they want for their efforts, else they wouldn't do it.
>>
>> Perhaps you want to rethink about what you, or someone else thinking the
>> same thing, hopes to get out of it.  With any enterprise you have to fit
>> into the model that surrounds it.  You can't have everything your way.

Aaron Konstam:
> I am always willing to learn new things. Are you saying the Linus and
> all the Red Hat employed developers are not being paid to do their
> development.

You seem to have missed what the last two sentences mean.  There's a
difference between, I demand to be able to make money from someone
else's work, and I can work out a way to earn money while being a part
of the model.  The model has been created, you have the choice of
fitting in, or making a new one.  Other's manage to do it to their own
satisfaction.

Do those kernel developers really "demand" money from someone, or have
they found a way be a part of the game?  I doubt the first notion.  The
GPL, and its ilk, would seem to be successfully anti-greed.

I read messages from the public lists.