FC4 or FC5

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Thu Jun 15 18:45:12 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 10:57 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
>> Wrong! OS X is based on FreeBSD's code, and other open source things
>> which Apple has released under their APSL (whose recent revisions *are*
>> GPL-compatible, if I recall correctly). Apple is in no way required to keep
>> their OS X kernel open source, yet they do anyway because of the good
>> community PR and development support it gains for them.
>
> Does that mean that their accelerated video support code is available
> for use in Linux and xorg?  Their aac, quicktime and mpeg code for
> gpl'd media players?  Working firewire code?

I do not know which aspects of their code are under what license moreso than
the general knowledge of their kernel being BSD-based and (currently) available
as source code as well.

My total experience with Macs is about 7 minutes with OS X at my friend's house
working on a group project about three years ago. :P

--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
This message was sent through a webmail