Maxtor or WD?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Jun 16 18:55:34 UTC 2006

On Fri June 16 2006 11:49 am, fredex wrote:
> > >As for which brand to buy, I'd go with whichever one has
> > > the longest warranty.
> >
> > Three years on the both of them!
>
> Then I'd go with whichever one costs less. Or whichever one is
> the prettiest!

Personal experience. I do among other things, hardware management
for one company and one non-profit org. Maybe 75-100 pc's under
my care. I have a stack of dead Maxtors in my service shop.
About twenty have failed in the past 18 months. Do the
research - there's plenty out there about this; somebody saying
all is well because he's got one that's run 6 months, and
another that's run a year reminds me of the story of the guy who
jumped off the tall building - half way down, someone leans out
the window and asked how he was doing - "so far, so good..."
he replied...

Maxtors are junk in my view. Of the ones that have failed, 1/3
were the USB externals variety. the ones housed in the plastic
cases that can't breathe - I've taken some apart and found
browned ribbon cable from the heat; many were fairly recent
vintage in the 160-300 GB range, and the balance were a little
older 20-35GB varieties.

And don't bother to get their technical support to acknowledge
this issue - they can't for obvious reasons...
I can only hope that since their acquisition by Seagate, things
will improve.

To the poster who related his positive 6mo/1yr experience, I
would just say, make sure you've got anything you care about
backed up...
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, Md, USA