Why is my system doing this to me? various failures

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 08:19:43 UTC 2006

On 17/06/06, David Timms <dtimms at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I just now tried to open Konsole in FC5 on KDE. The system was
> > installed less than a day ago, and has been yum updated today. Konsole
> > showed up for about 1 second and then disapeared. No crash error
> > message was displayed. And it won't stay up if I try to open it again.
> >
> > So I CTRL-ALT-F4ed into a console and tried to login as root (I want
> > to yum something). I got this message and the screen locked:
> > INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> >
> > Are these incidents related? What would cause them? Thanks in advance
> > for any ideas.
>
> 1. I don't know.
> 2. Perhaps you could try accessing from another machine (ssh if you have
> sshd running and firewall open for ssh) ?

I'll set up SSH now. I do have the wife's winbox with putty here on
the LAN so I can try that. How do I set up SSH so that root cannot log
in? I'm not very experienced.

> 3. Can you look at what yum update for some hints? less /var/log/yum.log

What should I look for?

> 4. Try using grub to start runlevel 3  (append 3 to the kernel line and
> boot)

Tried to load the system down in runlevel 3. It performed fine. but
then again, it performs fine with X running, too most of the time.

> 5. Do you have either the non-open source driver for either ATI or
> NVidia graphics cards installed ?

Not that I know of. I didn't install them, as I have an old 32 MB card
with no 3D.

Note that I've had multiple lock ups in Both Fedora and Kubuntu. When
I upgraded from Kubuntu t Fedora I replaced the main (boot) hard drive
and the PSU. So I doubt if it's any of those. Also, I memtest86'ed the
whole night and it found nothing.