audio on audacity (microphone input)

Yuandan Zhang yuandan.zhang at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 23:46:31 UTC 2006

Hi,
I had difficulty to use audcity. when I started audacity, I got error like
this

There was an error initializing the audio i/o layer, you will not be able to
play or record audio
Error: Host error

>From there, I searched google and last post on this list. there were some
suggestions: I followed them and did following things prior to start
audacity

rm ~/.audacity
use alsamixer to unmute mic
use volumn-control to unmute microphone input

su -c "chmod 666 /dev/dsp* "

It worked shortly, but after restart this system, I can't get this work any
more. It can open a mp3 file, but can't play it. when click on play botton,
it says
Error while opening sound device. please check the output device settings
and the project sample rate.

I opened up the preperfence of audacity -> Audio i/o, there is nothing to
select from playback device and recording device.

please offer some suggestions?

Yuandan
my system is
2.6.16-1.2133_FC5 #1 Tue Jun 6 00:52:14 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
I maintain it updated