FC4 or FC5

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 19 00:39:37 UTC 2006

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:33:48 -0700
"jdow" <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:

> If you linked to the wrong library modules you have forced your
> program to be under GPL. If you distribute it then you must also
> distribute source. How you figure you can avoid that is beyond me.
> Original author or not if the wrong GPL modules are linked into
> your program you're toast. Have you VERY carefully vetted this end
> to end in your code?

If you have ANY GPL modules linked into your program you better
have a damn good lawyer if you don't want to obey the requirements
of the GPL.

> You CANNOT link to GPL. You can link to LGPL. If you have linked to
> GPL and somebody calls FSF's attention to it you may find yourself
> on the receiving end of some legal notices. Personally I'd hate to
> see that. I think this is a philosophical error on the part of GPL
> in making it so intrusive. But it's a fact to deal with.

The point of the restriction that you hate so much is the very reason
the GPL exists.  To keep people who would refuse to follow such a
restriction away from GPL code.  It's working exactly as designed.

Fortunately for people who are willing to observe the restrictions
such legal worries are fanishingly small.

Sean