Applications unusable

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 09:21:23 UTC 2006

On 19/06/06, Chris Linton-Ford <chris.lintonford at firebox.com> wrote:

>  On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 07:23 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>  On 19/06/06, Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
> >
> > This is starting to sound like a HW failure of some kind.
> >

> That's what I suspected, too. I have run several checks with Hiron's
> boot disk, such as memtest86 and have found nothing.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>

>  I had a similar problem - random failures affecting a wide range of system
> and userland s/w. Ran memtest, it reported the RAM to be fine, but when I
> replaced the RAM the problems went away.  If you can get a stick of known
> good RAM, try swapping it in and see if it helps.
>
>  Chris

I'd love to- I've been looking for RD-RAM for about a year now. In
fact, just now I got this:

[dotancohen at localhost ~]$ limewire
GC Warning: Out of Memory!  Returning NIL!
Exception during runtime initialization
GC Warning: Out of Memory!  Returning NIL!
/usr/share/java-utils/java-functions: line 116:  5501 Aborted
       $JAVACMD $FLAGS -classpath $CLASSPATH $OPTIONS $MAIN_CLASS "$@"
[dotancohen at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/swaps
Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/hda2                               partition       722916  41388   -1
[dotancohen at localhost ~]$

Does this also look like a RAM problem?

Dotan