FC4 or FC5

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jun 19 16:26:32 UTC 2006

> On Sun, 2006-06-18 at 23:52, Sean wrote:
>
> > Choose whatever words you want if it makes you feel better.  It's
> > purpose is to keep away the people that don't want to play by the
> > rules.  It's working very well it seems.
> >
> > Anyone who disagrees with the GPL as much as you do should have the
> > backbone to stand up and refuse to use GPL software.  The fact that
> > even you, a confirmed GPL hater uses GPL software shows just how
> > good the GPL is.
>
> You continue to miss the point.  The thing I dislike about the
> GPL is that it prevents distribution of a large amount of
> potentially useful software.  That has no bearing on the
> usefulness or my use of the subset that is permitted to
> be distributed.

I have stayed out of this discussion because of your tirade.

The GPL does not prevent distribution of anything that is done by the
GPL rules when applicable.  If a developer does something for in house
use it is not prevented by GPL in any case.  If they do not want to
release their own code and plan to distribute then they should not link
to GPLed software.  This has been said many - many times and is it the
choice of the developer how they do this.

Quit whining just because you feel something should be distributed but
because of the GPL and the developers choice to not release the source
code distribution is prevented.

It was the developers choice, not yours (unless you happen to be the
developer) to not distribute his product.  License restrictions
influenced that, yes, but the choice was made by the developer so get
over your angst.

Jeff