only 11Mb/s with bcm43xx on F5?[Scanned]

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 19 16:49:06 UTC 2006

James Pifer wrote:
> I used scp and the results were rather disappointing. Using scp I had
> the following results:
>
> 11Mb/s - scp would go around 815K
> 54Mb/s - scp would go around 1.1MB
> 10/100 NIC - scp would go around 6.4MB

General note: scp is great for real-life use over unprotected networks.
But because there is the overhead of encryption and decryption, scp can
be limited by processor power at one end or the other of a link, rather
than raw throughput (especially if the network card itself requires a
lot of processor time to do its stuff). This means it's not the best
choice for measuring anything other than scp throughput.

James.
--
E-mail address: james | The screensaver is a "killer app", currently serving
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | 10 years for manslaughter.