Problem getting cgi script to work with apache?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jun 19 19:47:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 11:49 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> >>Add the following line to the top of your script:
> >>
> >>#!/usr/bin/perl
> >>

> >Yes I'm sorry I actually had that in the script and took it out to
> >test and didn't put it back before I posted.  It doesn't work with it
> >either.
>
> Paul, et al:
>
> I am really screwed up here.  It did need the #!/usr/bin/perl but
> that wasn't what was causing my problem.  Seems there is some file
> incompatibility with my script file that I downloaded from my BSD
> server.  When I copied the file with VIM it got smaller and now works
> just fine.  I don't know what the problem is but it works now.  I've
> noticed similar problems going the other way, moving files to the BSD
> server.

This sounds like the problem with a dos formatted text file vs a *nix
formatted text file.  In the dos file each line ends with <CR><LF> and
in the *nix file it ends with <LF> only.

These differences make a big difference in many situations, and as I
recall, HTML and perl are two of those places.

A quick test of that can be done with a simple "dos2unix test.pl" or to
go the other way, "unix2dos test.pl"  If the line endings are the
problem this command should fix it (or break it) depending on which way
you go.

I do not know how BSD handles files but it may be that it does use the
dos type line end formatting on text files.