ever have trouble with headphone recognition?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jun 20 13:26:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 23:23 -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude D820 and in order to make sound work at all, I
> had to install the newer Alsa drivers & utilties as described on the
> RedHat help site.
> http://people.redhat.com/stransky/alsa/
>
> This laptop has an Intel southbridge architecture that uses the driver
> snd-hda-intel.
>
> Here is the problem.  If the laptop starts and no headphones are
> plugged in, then inserting the headphones does nothing--sound keeps
> coming out from speakers.
>
> Conversely, if  I put in the headphones before starting the comptuer,
> then the headphones do work, but yanking them does not make the
> speakers work.

I am not sure what you mean here about speakers and headphones.  On my
systems the speakers (front/stereo) plug into the same jack as the
headphones on the rear.  If the speakers work then the headphones will
work.

If, on the other hand, you are using the speakers in the rear jack and
plugging the headphones in the front jack then this may be an issue with
the way the front panel audio is connected to the audio ports on the
mobo.  With a front panel properly connected it should not matter.  The
front panel jack will disable the rear jack when plugged in, but should
never depend on which is connected at boot time to determine which is
enabled.

> The alsa mixer does not show the headphones device, at all. None of
> the gnome mixer tools   or kde mixer tools show more devices.

Nothing I know of explicitly lists the headphone device.  It is after
all a speaker set and plugs into the same jack on the sound card.
Some have had problems with the external speakers never working.

One thing I have found and has been repeated here by many is that there
is an "external amplifier" switch in the alsa volume control panel.
Sometimes this is off and the speakers will not work so turning it on
enables the speakers. This does not seem to be what you describe
however.

>From reading the way you describe it I suspect the problem with cabling
for the front panel audio, but only you can answer that.