c++ programming evironment

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 21 12:15:40 UTC 2006

From: "David Fletcher" <fc at fletchersweb.net>

> On Wednesday 21 June 2006 00:54, Todd Simi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm taking a c++ class that is being taught with M$ Virtual C++
>> environment, but we are allowed to use any compiler of our choice.
>>
>> Is their anything similar to the Virtual C++ environment for linux?
>>
>> I've always used vi for the little I've done.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Todd
>
> I'm interested in this thread too, but for different reasons.
>
> We have a looming problem at work, which is a test instrument that's
> controlled by a DOS program on a PC via a serial cable. It works OK but
> serial ports are fast vanishing from PCs especially laptops.

Um, USB to serial adapters exist. (Two kinds exist, actually. One is
a three wire serial emulation. The other is a full emulation.) These
work remarkably well. I've been using them for over a year now. So
adapting the DOS program to almost anything while maintaining a serial
port interface should be no problem at all for either 'ix or 'indows
environments.

{^_^}