LAMP on Fedora

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 19:49:37 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 12:10 -0700, Tom Spec wrote:
> Does anyone have any pros/cons of installing MySQL/Apache/PHP with
> yum/rpms vs compiling it all from source?   I have always done them
> from source, but I thought I'd see what other people are doing.  Do
> you think there would be any difference in performance either way?

The only reason to build your own would be if you are running
an application that needs a different version than the stock
rpms.  If you build something non-standard you'll have to watch
for security and bug fixes yourself and do rebuilds instead of
letting yum keep everything up to date for you.  There have
been problems in various releases of mod_perl  but I think php
has always worked and the security fixes have been timely.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com