When LVM Goes Bad

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 22 17:14:57 UTC 2006

Andy Green wrote:
> Hi folks -
>
> A story about LVM.  I believe LVM is the default on Fedora partitioning
> now, at least I didn't love it that much that I would have selected it,
> and it is on all my boxes now.

I got it when I installed FC4 on a machine some time back, without
realizing that it put in LVM. I then had a situation similar to yours,
and when I realized what had happened, promptly uninstalled FC4. I had
already just about decided to do that, anyway, and that was the topper.

[snip]

> Recovery from LVM metadata corruption is not something that is
> overburdened by tools to help out, in fact I couldn't find anything
> useful.  By using dd I probed the damaged region and found that it

Understatement of the year.

[snip]

> I wouldn't say that LVM is evil from this, but I would suggest that you
> simply turn it off for partitioning actions where you know there will be
> no expansion, because the only thing it will ever do for you in that
> case is to stress you out when you least need it.

Actually, you could have left off "in that case". LVM is not a
reasonable way to handle disc expansion. It is wrong-headed. LVM
*is* evil.

Kudos for the clever way you got around the mess.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.