screen resolution

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jun 22 23:13:47 UTC 2006

starcycle at gmail.com wrote:
> On 6/22/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>> >

>> The last time that MGA and Intel were both broken was due to a compiler
>> error which broke both video controllers in a similar fashion.
>>
>> Is your X configuration setup as badly as the one someone posted
>> earlier? I would not suppose the compiler was amiss again.
>>
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-June/msg02385.html
>>

> i am basically using the default configuration with a few changes, but
> it doesn't look all that much different from the one you posted. what
> about that is so bad?

The one that I linked to had many instances of comments included. I
understands that comments shoud not be harmful, but there were about
four incidents where the same comment was posted.

I also posted an attachment of a working xorg.conf file that I use on a
system upgraded to FC5 from several previous releases of Fedora. The
Intel that I use is linked below. (Only a text file, no virus or
malicious scripts)

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-June/msg03410.html

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     16
		Modes    "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1152x768" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
	EndSubSection

> anyway, here's the relevant portion of the xorg.conf. it's difficult
> working with it, because every error just makes the screen go blank
> like it's in "standby" mode -- even just putting another resolution
> the mode line -- and the only way to get any screen back at all, even
> a console, is to reboot. i guess fedora configured the framebuffer
> wrong for the matrox card.
>
> Section "Monitor"
>
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>        Identifier   "Monitor0"
>        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>        ModelName    "Samsung SyncMaster 172T/176T/CX176T/CX171T (Digital)"
> #       DisplaySize  340        270
> ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC: (redundant)
>        HorizSync    30.0 - 65.0
>        VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
>        Option      "dpms"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier  "Videocard0"
>        Driver      "mga"
>        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>        BoardName   "Matrox Graphics, Inc. G400/G450"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>        Identifier "Screen0"
>        Device     "Videocard0"
>        Monitor    "Monitor0"
>        DefaultDepth     16
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Viewport   0 0
>                Depth     16
>                Modes     "800x600" "640x480"
>        EndSubSection
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Viewport   0 0
>                Depth     24
>                Modes    "1280x1024"
>        EndSubSection

Your default depth is set to 16. Your maximum resolution is set to
"800x600" for 16 depth. Changing default depth to 24 might work.

With the blank screens that you are getting and corrupting the video
controller until a reboot, it just may be a botched up driver from the
compiler or options used to compile the modules.

You may need to use the "vesa" driver until this situation is fixed.

Jim

--
Suppose you're working on an optimizer to render \X unnecessary (or
rather, redundant, which isn't the same thing in my book).