CUPS printer drivers -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jun 23 03:21:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 01:43 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> system-config-printer is quite broken

In general, I would agree.  And just why does it sit there churning for
a minute or so, when you try to save a configuration?

However,

> using the cups web interface tool for configuration has been more
> succesful for me (go to localhost:631 in a web browser).

I found with some HP inkjet printer that I ended up not being able to
print from web browsers, if I set things up that way.  It'd bomb out
with a useless error message (you might want to check why it aborted).
Though, when set up via the Gnome tool, all was well.

Also, I noticed the difference between the test pages between being set
up one way or the other.  The CUPS test page you'd get once set up via
the Gnome tool, however you initiated printing the test page (via that
tool, or the CUPS local webserver), had finer detail in the colours and
grayscales, and was a slightly different sized page.

I read messages from the public lists.