Ten Reasons To *NOT* Use ZFS:

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 23 21:43:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 16:36 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 02:56 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > The kernel people have never claimed that user space is derivative of
> > the Linux kernel. That would be stupid.
>
> If that wasn't an assumption, or at least a possible interpretation
> of the stock GPL then the modification of the Linux COPYING file would
> not be there.

People have claimed various stuff about GPL. GPL FAQ addresses these
claims from the FSF standpoint as the license writers. The COPYING makes
a clarification from the Linus's viewpoint. None of these are in anyway
modifications of the license itself though it clarifies intend.

> And I think it would be quite difficult to convince
> a jury that a file system is any more or less derived from one of
> the kernels where it might be used based on the interface used to
> connect it.

You would need a lawyer to determine that. We are not lawyers. There is
not much use of us discussing this.

Rahul