fsck at boot, skip a disk ?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jun 23 23:22:33 UTC 2006

Marcel Janssen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed something stupid of the Fedora boot.
>
> One of my data drives went defect and I removed it from my system.
> At boot, fsck stops and drops me a line (crtl-D, which will reboot) or I mount
> the filesystem read-only.
> Neither one is the correct option in my case. I basically want to mount the
> still correct disks in their normal mode, than edit my fstab and simply
> reboot.
> Is there a way to just skip the one disk that fails the fsck and simply
> continue without that disk ?
>
> Now I need the rescue disk to fix this issue, which I think is a bit too much
> to solve a simple issue like this.
>
> Perhaps I'm just not aware of other options. In case they exist I'd like to
> hear about them.
>
> If there are no options, I hope someone will create those.
>
> regards,
> Marcel

One way to do it is to boot by adding the "init=/bin/bash" option.
This puts yo at a command prompt, with only the root file system
mounted. You also need to remove the ro option, or remount the root
file system rw after the system boots. Don't expect all your
hardware to be working. This boots you up into a very minimal
system, but it is enough to let you edit fstab as long as you are
comfortable with the cli. If /usr is a separate partition, you have
to manually mount it if you need any of the programs on it.

Mikkel