fsck at boot, skip a disk ?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Jun 24 01:34:56 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Marcel Janssen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just noticed something stupid of the Fedora boot.
>>
>> One of my data drives went defect and I removed it from my system.
>> At boot, fsck stops and drops me a line (crtl-D, which will reboot) or I mount
>> the filesystem read-only.
>> Neither one is the correct option in my case. I basically want to mount the
>> still correct disks in their normal mode, than edit my fstab and simply
>> reboot.
>> Is there a way to just skip the one disk that fails the fsck and simply
>> continue without that disk ?
>>
>> Now I need the rescue disk to fix this issue, which I think is a bit too much
>> to solve a simple issue like this.
>>
>> Perhaps I'm just not aware of other options. In case they exist I'd like to
>> hear about them.
>>
>> If there are no options, I hope someone will create those.
>
> The easy way to do this......
>
> 1.  When the system is booting you have normally have a 5 second window
> before grub starts loading.  While it is counting down, hit return.
>
> 2.  This brings you to a menu.
>
> 3.  Type "a" to add to the kernel parameter.
>
> 4.  Add a "1" (one) to the end of the line...don't forget the space first.
>
> 5.  Hit return.
>
> This will boot the system with just the "/" file system mounted.  You
> can then use vi to edit your fstab.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I though that run level 1 still ran
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and one of the things rc.sysinit does is mount
all file systems. The section that does this is:

# Mount all other filesystems (except for NFS and /proc, which is
already
# mounted). Contrary to standard usage,
# filesystems are NOT unmounted in single user mode.
action $"Mounting local filesystems: " mount -a -t
nonfs,nfs4,smbfs,ncpfs,cifs,gfs -O no_netdev

Also note that the when the list of file system types after the -t
option start with no, that it is a list of types to not mount. So
between this list of file system types not to be mounted, and the -O
no_netdev option, no file system that require network access should
get mounted here.

Mikkel