kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 won't sleep

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Sat Jun 24 21:01:45 UTC 2006

With kernel-2.6.17-1.2139_FC5 my IBM T30 laptop will no longer enter sleep
mode.  More accurately, it won't wake up.  When I close the lid and later
reopen it, the old XFCE4 display lights up, but is frozen.  Nothing works -
CTL-ALT-F2, CTL-ALT-BS.  The only option is to press and hold the power
button to shutdown and reboot.

I was so proud of myself for finally figuring out how to make the sleep
mode work with the broken FC5.  The documentation is mighty sparse.
If I create these additional files, sleep mode seems to work, although
I'm not sure that the battery drain is as low as it used to be:

/etc/acpi/events/lid.conf:
  event=button/lid*
  action=/usr/bin/acpitool -s

/etc/acpi/events/sleep.conf:
  event=button/sleep*
  action=/usr/bin/acpitool -s

Sleep mode just worked out of the box with FC4.  I could leave the lid
closed without the charger overnight and there was still a charge in the
morning.  I was disappointed to find that FC5 doesn't sleep correctly
by default.  Now it doesn't work at all anymore.

Progress???

--
	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.us         www.datix.us