FC5 networking question, emachines t3418

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jun 25 18:51:00 UTC 2006

Peter Horst wrote:

> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Peter Horst wrote:
>>
>>> [snip no network]
>>>
>> There are a couple of problems here. Probably the biggest is that
>> you do not have any name server in /etc/resolv.conf. There are a
>> couple of ways to fix this. You can ether set the computer up to use
>> dhcp to get its information, or you can edit /etc/resolv.conf.
>>
>> Try editing /etc/resov.conf - put in:
>>
>> nameserver 192.168.2.1
>>

>> If that does not work, let us know and we can tell you how to set up
>> the interface to use DHCP instead. (This is probably how Windows is
>> set up...)
>>

> Thanks. I tried editing resolv.conf per your suggestion but I'm getting
> the same error message.  Can you let me know what I need to do to get
> dhcp set up?
>
> Grazie.

Change /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to something like:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

Then edit /etc/hosts to look like:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost obtunded

(Delete the "192.168.2.123 obtunded" line.)

Then run, as root:
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

Do not worry if the ifdown eth0 command fails.

Mikkel