anyone else having weird networking issues with the latest FC5 (2.6.17) kernel?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jun 26 17:45:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 12:44 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 08:36 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > I'm seeing some bizarre networking problems with the latest FC5
> > kernel.  On one system, all of my ethernet interfaces have reversed
> > themselves.  eth2 is now eth0, eth0 is eth2.  If I boot back into the
> > last 2.6.16 based kernel, everything 'works' as expected again.
> >
> > On another system, where I'm using ndiswrapper-1.18 for a PCI wifi
> > NIC, it just doens't work at all in the 2.6.17 kernel.  I see tons of
> > messages in dmesg about wlan0 getting reset, and there's no throughput
> > at all (100% packet loss).  Falling back to the last 2.6.16 kernel
> > fixed that problem too.
> >
> This sounds like a resurfacing of an earlier problem where the new
> kernel and utilities changed the order in which devices were scanned on
> the mobo.  The names are assigned in the order they are seen by default,
> but IIRC there are workarounds that will force the system to always
> assign the same nic the same name.

I think use of the "HWADDR=" bit in the ifcfg-ethX file ties a specific
NIC to an ethX name.  That's why it's there in the first place.

> I have not seen the nic problem and do not remember the details, but
> then I do not have multiple NICs, nor am I using ndiswrapper on my PC.
> When I was using ndiswrapper, IIRC it had to be recompiled for each
> kernel update.

Yes, it does.  I've not had any issues with ndiswrapper, but I'm not
running the 2.6.17 kernel yet.

-  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a  -
-                              rigged demo.                          -