anyone else having weird networking issues with the latest FC5 (2.6.17) kernel?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Jun 27 02:22:51 UTC 2006

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 6/26/06, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 11:34 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>> > If you mean the windows driver that ndiswrapper is using, that hasn't
>> > changed in ages, and I don't see a newer one recommended on the
>> > ndiswrapper website.
>> >
>> Yes, I did mean the windows drive, and a simple erase and reinstall
>> _may_ fix the issue.  I recall seeing occasionally warnings from
>> ndiswrapper that changes required a reinstall of the windows driver and
>> sure enough it worked.
>
> Perhaps things were different when you last used ndiswrapper, or maybe
> the windows driver that you were using was different than mine.  For
> me, the "installation" is copying the dll to a specfic place on the
> fileysystem.  There's nothing else to uninstall or reinstall.  More
> importantly, the driver gets loaded just fine in 1.18, its just not
> working properly.  Thanks though.
>
>From the ndiswrapper
Wiki:http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation

Install Windows driver

Important: Do NOT use the drivers on your CD. They may work, but you
may experience kernel crashes, etc., if the driver on your CD has
not been tested.
Instead, you need to download the appropriate Windows XP driver for
your card from the wiki entry list. To identify the driver that you
need, first identify the card you have with 'lspci' and note the
first column such as 0000:00:0c.0 and then find out the PCI ID of
the card that with 'lspci -n' corresponding to the first column of
'lspci' output.
The PCI ID is third column or fourth in some distributions and of
the form '104c:8400'. Now you need to get the Windows driver for
this chipset. In the list, find out an entry for the same PCI ID,
and download the driver corresponding to it. Unpack the Windows
driver with unzip/cabextract/unshield tools, and find the INF file
(.INF or .inf extension) and the SYS file (.SYS or .sys extension).
If there are multiple INF/SYS files, you may look in the list if
there are any hints about which of them should be used. Make sure
the INF file, SYS file and any BIN files (For example, TI drivers
use BIN firmware) files are all in one directory. Now use the
'ndiswrapper' tool to install the driver with ndiswrapper -i
filename.inf This copies all necessary files to /etc/ndiswrapper and
creates the config files for your card. After installing you can run
ndiswrapper -l to see the status of your installed drivers. If you
have installed the correct driver you should see something like this

Installed ndis drivers:
bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present

Where 'present' means that you have a card that can be used with the
driver installed. In this case, broadcom driver bcmwl5 is used. If
you see 'cannot locate lspci. Unable to see if hardware is present',
you need to install the pciutils package.

Mikkel