Boot problems (FC4)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jun 27 07:42:43 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 04:07, Ed Greshko wrote:

> FWIW, the exact same thing happened on my RHELv4 system the other day
> when there was a millisecond power failure and my system crashed.  My
> RHELv3 system rode out the power drop.
>
> Anyway, staring at the screen I noted that ntpd startup was hanging as
> well as cupsd.  I let it alone and sure enough after maybe 10 minutes it
> completed booting.
>
> The culprit?  While the ADSL router's lights proclaimed it was UP it
> really wasn't.  Rebooted the router.  And then rebooted the system again
> just to check.  No problem.

Rebooting the router cured it for me, too.  The fact that the LAN was
functioning caused me to overlook that for a while.

I'm wondering if it is possible that the router is being swamped by an
overnight download, so that one box is getting all the bandwidth and nothing
released for the rest.  Do you think that's possible?

> At least in my case it was a symptom of network outage and services that
> are making DNS requests in the course of starting up stalling.  However,
> you may want to change your grub configuration to disable rgb (redhat
> graphical boot) as you'll be able to follow wants going on with greater
> accuracy.

It might make sense to do that, since I routinely override the gui so that I
can see the messages anyway ;-)

Anne