software for erasing bad sectors from pen drive

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Jun 27 11:25:37 UTC 2006

Ankush Grover wrote:
> hey friends,
>
> Is there any software available on Linux which can erase or block bad
> sectors on pen drive and hard disk ?   I am using FC3.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Ankush Grover

When you ar formatting the filesystem, issue the -c option to the
command. If there are bad blocks, it will mark them so that they are not
used.

Reading the man and info pages will explain this better. The -c calls
the badblocks program to check for bad blocks.

Jim

--
With the current ACPI code in my test boxes it seems to be no worse than
APM, unfortunately it would be hard to be worse.